post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Knowns Of The Nissan IDX Concept Confirmed

1. Nissan Wants to Build It

After Showing both the IDx Freeflow and NISMO at Tokyo and Detroit we got this straight from the Horses Mouth

Quote:
Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer told media there was no confirmation of which of the two concept models would hit production.

"Don't say that we won't do both, but we will definitely do one of them," he said.
As for when, good question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. IDx=510

Literally, DX in Roman Numerals is 510, a bit brilliant if you ask me. I 510, yes I the 510. If Nissan has their way we all will 510.

Quote:
We’ve heard that “D” simply refers to the Roman numeral for “500” and that “x” stands for “10”. 510. So it really is called "the 510." Now that’s pretty cool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Intended for the Young

At least that's the narrative Nissan is maintaining. Who will actually put their dollars up remains to be seen!

Quote:
“What I really expect is that, when I was a lad, I aspired to a sports car as a bit of a bad boy, and what I'm really looking for is to inspire that same positioning for kids who are coming through today who apparently aren't that interested in cars. We have to re-engender that excitement for motor cars,” said Palmer.

4. The WILL be a CVT

Of course there will be, IDx is a Nissan after all. However, Nissan does not currently have a RWD CVT application, so there is hope. Unfortunately that same logic may also rule out a true manual gearbox. Nissan has no small longitudinal manual gearbox, considering their investment in JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) its far more plausible its CVT and CVT only. I know, tragedy right.

Quote:
Palmer also said Nissan hasn't decided to include a manual, but he also says, “I would expect some kind of paddle shift. … There's plenty of ways of executing a manual feel these days.”
Oh Boy.

5. No Obvious Platform Available

Birds word is that the twin IDx concepts we're actually rolling around on the bones of the long defunct S15 Silvia, do we need to state how obvious that is infeasible? They do have the venerable FM platform in the cupboard, hey if its good enough for GTR should be good enough for IDx right? Well maybe not, FM is a heavy and mature platform, no one is going to want a 3,000 plus pound car with sub 200 hp, if we wanted the power to weight of a Corolla we would of bought one!

An interesting angle is Nissans new CMF (Common Modular Family) architecture, however information and applications of CMF are nascent to this point so we're not exactly sure if it can support RWD orientation.

6. Number 80 IDx NISMO is a Subtle Anniversary Nod

The 80 we saw on the side of the IDx NISMO concept in both Tokyo and Detroit was a subtle nod to the 80 years the company has been in business. Founded December 26, 1933, Happy Birthday indeed!

7. IDx has a $20,000 MSRP Target

Truthfully Nissan is not on record with an official price target, but a bit of logic and free association can get you a long way. Consider that Palmer has verbally smacked the FRS/BRZ/GT86, quipping that the Tobaru is a midlife crisis car while also asserting that the FRS is for digital natives. Fair enough, logically then one would expect the IDx to undercut the Tobaru on price. Engine talk to this point has been consistently littered with speculation about either Juke or Sentra's engine configuration.

Keep in mind Toyota/Subaru had an initial price target of $20,000 but came in at $25,255 MSRP.

Last edited by IDXAdmin; 07-17-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed line between photos (was affecting description text)
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
When it comes to which model to launch, i think the smartest thing to do to keep it "alive" for years to come which many companies do, is to launch the not so fun model, IDX Freeflow. Eventually sometime down the road, bring out the NISMO model.

This also helps to keep it in line with a $20k price range.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Thanks for putting all this info together in one thread.

I am happy that it will start at $20,000. That is a great price point to make the IDx accessible to a large number of people. I wonder what the most expensive model will get up to.

I also wonder what it means that they will build at least one. DO you think they are planing on both, or just one. If it is just one, then which one would it be? I would assume the Freeflow model before the NISMO model.

I also do think that the IDx will appeal to the young, but anytime a car appeals to young people it should really appeal to the young at heart. Young or old, people want to look youthful and young at heart. Who wants a car that looks like it is for old people. I don't even think that old people want that.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDex View Post

I am happy that it will start at $20,000. That is a great price point to make the IDx accessible to a large number of people. I wonder what the most expensive model will get up to.

I also wonder what it means that they will build at least one. DO you think they are planing on both, or just one. If it is just one, then which one would it be? I would assume the Freeflow model before the NISMO model.

I also do think that the IDx will appeal to the young, but anytime a car appeals to young people it should really appeal to the young at heart. Young or old, people want to look youthful and young at heart. Who wants a car that looks like it is for old people. I don't even think that old people want that.
As for the highest trim model, I think it will be best if it's no more than $8k more than the base model, if they keep it under the $30k mark that will be awesome.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Yea that makes sense. I don't think I could see it getting any higher than $30k, or $31k. It also really makes a difference as to what is going to come in that model as far as technology, materials, performance, etc...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Do you think the $20k MSRP target is really going to happen though. Are they going to be able to make a competitive vehicle that keep[s its cool design features and still stay at that price point? You were saying that other companies went a bit above the $20k target that they set. What will make it different for the IDx?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Well the first point is a little misleading. Freeflow and NISMO are not really different models, just two flavors of the same idea...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDex View Post

For simplicity sake, I hope they keep the trim levels to a minimum. It get so confusing to have 3-5 levels for any type of car, IMHO.

I think the Freeflow would be a good intro to the market to drum up interest and see how sales go. Like others have stated, the eventual intro of the Nismo version would be awesome (as in the following year of the Freeflow).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Keeping trim levels few and still with many good options will be best for production too, at least that way it will be easier to produce them, I can see that happening. Wasn't the BRZ and FR-S like that?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Zed View Post
For simplicity sake, I hope they keep the trim levels to a minimum. It get so confusing to have 3-5 levels for any type of car, IMHO.

I think the Freeflow would be a good intro to the market to drum up interest and see how sales go. Like others have stated, the eventual intro of the Nismo version would be awesome (as in the following year of the Freeflow).
I think they will need to have a technology or premium pack as option however. I'd like mine as bare as possible but unfortunately many car buyers see infotainment, flashing buttons and big glass roof's as necessity...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan IDx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page