Could GM Kickstart the IDx Project? - Nissan IDx Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Could GM Kickstart the IDx Project?

As we all know the idea of the IDx has entered into oscilating turbulence, please buckle your seat belts and place your seat in an upright position, this project is going down. Doubts over the viability and cost of the project have been the brunt of recent IDx news. Truthfully they have a point, 50,000 units is simply not enough to justify a bespoke platform for this project alone...

That is unless they can find a way to amortize the development costs and quick.

The answer we're looking for is potentially going to come from an unlikely source: General Motors.

Let me paint you a picture, just a few days back Cadillac Chief marketeer Uwe Ellinghaus hinted heavily at a sub ATS small sedan based on a truncated Alpha platform:

Quote:
“My personal crusade is to spare us a **** of a lot of dilution of our emerging brand image by moving to front-wheel drive for potential smaller cars,” he continued. “As you know, the entire competition is moving to front-wheel drive for their entry-level cars. I am under a **** of a lot of pressure, as are [Cadillac chief engineer] Dave Leone and [executive director of Cadillac design] Andrew Smith, because front-wheel drive offers these package and cost advantages. If we are just after the lowest price point possible to enter the category, we would have to go front-wheel drive tomorrow. That said, what is the reason to buy a Cadillac in that segment in a couple of years’ time when all the German competitors will have front-wheel drive? It is that we are maybe—if we are lucky—the only ones left with rear-wheel drive.”
Now where the color starts to come in is when you consider that the Code 130 project was deemed as impossible because GM was having substantial issues shortening the already short Alpha platform, which is one of the prime reasons the ATS coupe shares identical dimensions with the ATS Sedan.

Quote:
It’s not clear how far along the program even was, but we’ve heard before that GM’s Alpha rear-wheel-drive architecture — despite how it shines in the Cadillac ATS — has limitations in terms of how well it can downsize into B-segment form.
So if GM has now figured out how to circumvent the SNAFU there are tantalizing prospects. For one the sub ATS sedan and potentially an accompanying coupe, second the aimed straight at FRS/BRZ missile known as Code 130.

Now let me bring this babble together. Should GM be able to bring the Code 130 and its Cadillac cousins to market it sets an interesting precedent for Nissan. For one the Code 130 would play in the exact same segment as the IDx, bringing far more validity to that segment than FRS' 18,000 annual sales ever could. More importantly it shows a viable way to amortize the platoform, proliferate it through your lineup.

Could Infiniti not benefit from a sub Q50 RWD sedan and a sub Q60 RWD coupe to fight with the 2 series on equal ground? What about Renault who is actively looking to revive their Alpine performance arm, could they not make use of a small RWD platform?

Point being, its not all doom and gloom, Nissan hasn't been a market leader for some time now, perhaps all they need is a kick in the ass...
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I agree with your conclusion. Having some other hats in the ring would probably lend quite a bit of legitimacy to the segment. Surely, there are vehicles that could use a similarly sized platform to the IDX. I think that Infiniti could make a really nice little roadster. They need something like that too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
this is very possible, Nissan's concern is that it is profitable and this is one great way to ensure that while not having to worry on their end in what ways to stretch this platform out to other models.

i like the idea of this and would like to see it happen.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
SO do you think there is a very big market for a vehicle of this size though. There really aren't that many out on the market at the moment which means that companies feel there isn't much demand. I assume if there was demand they would be more excited to build some models to supply the demand.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM

That's a tough one, i don't see any indicators of it already being in demand aside from people saying they love it and that they want one, but the conversion on those folks could be very low.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDXGuy View Post
That's a tough one, i don't see any indicators of it already being in demand aside from people saying they love it and that they want one, but the conversion on those folks could be very low.
The trend seems to be toward CUVs right now which the IDX definitely isn't. I can understand why companies are hesitant to put a lot of money into a car in this segment.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 PM

That's what i have noticed, a ton of CUV's, compact crossovers and the like.
Someone has to take the jump with this compact affordable RWD coupe thing
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I think that it is rare for companies to come forward with something new that attempts to influence the public. Instead, I think that car companies are more likely to just follow whatever trends are currently going on in the industry. Far less risk.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 PM

yeah following what is already happening or bound to happen is the safest route to go.
still, it would be great to see that Nissan makes this jump and that it turns out to be a viable one for them.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
well as mentioned in the original post, If Cadillac is looking to go sub ATS GM would be looking to amortise the development work and the quickest way to do that is 2 models at different places in the price spectrum...

Cadillac wants to do it to meet the BMW 2 series head on, Chevrolet could use an FRS rival and would prove as a great onboarding tool potentially leading to transitioning younger buyers into camaros and corvettes as they age...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan IDx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page