Nissan iDx, Production See-Saw? - Nissan IDx Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nissan iDx, Production See-Saw?

The Nissan iDx could be something enthusiasts will drool about, the key is could be should it be built! We're far from that becoming reality barring a serendipitous surprise at one of the upcoming motor shows.

So in lieu of that shall we recap quickly just where exactly things sit with the iDx project?

A few months back we had heard devastating news, the iDx was dead, GASP, more like still born, but i digress. Quickly the premature death of the iDx was reversed and we were quickly sold a story about the iDx now becoming less retro, more in line with Nissans current design language and most importantly it would be massaged to mate with the FM platform under the 370Z.

The catalyst behind the rumor is one that we suspected all along, COST. Nissan does not have a cheap enough RWD platform that ticks all the required boxes for the iDx project, which then runs into another problem. Even if Nissan were to develop the platform are there enough legitimate use cases across their empire to amortize the developmental costs?

So where are we now, well actually no farther than when we started many moons ago. The Sports Car Chief of Nissan Great Brittain, James Oliver, does his best to muddle the water even further.

When asked about the iDx:

Quote:
“It’s always something that would be considered, and you have to look at the market. There are other manufacturers that do very well in that market – GT86 for example, and MX-5 – the question is whether we decide to tap into it.”
Yes James, that IS THE QUESTION, nice side step.

When asked about the potential relationship between the iDx and the Zed:

Quote:
“If we were going to do it, it would need to be a whole new model. You can’t take something that’s a big, heavy, old-school car and downsize it. It would need to be a whole new platform if we were to go in that direction.”
So there you have it, the iDx went from nothing to something and back to nothing in the span span of 300 and something words, how’s that for operational efficiency...
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Hadn't seen that render of the IDx before. It looks really nice. makes me think that this could be a great car to mod... if they actually build it!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Nice, back to point A, good way to shut up the interviewer.

I have a feeling it will happen, just that they're trying to pull together the right strings to cut their losses where ever they can and go from their. When that time comes around and it's official, we should hear what we've wanted to or part of it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
What car company puts out a car when the biggest thing on their mind is to cut their losses? I think that if that is the first thing on their mind, the IDx won't get built.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDex View Post
What car company puts out a car when the biggest thing on their mind is to cut their losses? I think that if that is the first thing on their mind, the IDx won't get built.
he's trying to suggest this is to cut their losses when building a specific type of vehicle which to them could be more risky on their own than if they were to partner up with another company.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
seeing it in this color scheme remind me of what the initial D AE86 looks like.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttle View Post
seeing it in this color scheme remind me of what the initial D AE86 looks like.
x2

it pulls off the panda theme quite well here
seeing how much japanese car enthusiasts like the panda theme, i can see some eventually doing this one their own with some vinyl
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
that has me thinking what it would look like as a japanese police car:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donavan View Post
that has me thinking what it would look like as a japanese police car:

IDX police cars would be easy to get away from
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Any know what that visor with black supports is that is coming out of the hood on the Japanese police car photo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan IDx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page