Floating Rooves are Dumb... - Nissan IDx Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Floating Rooves are Dumb...

Yes thats right I said it, they're dumb and they're gimmicky and they're not even particularly well done.

First of all its a visual lie that any 5 year old can see through. Heaping praise on this "cool" design is beyond damaging to Nissan. Why encourage them to product shoddy work? Look, its two pieces of red plastic bolted to the roof, HOW REVOLUTIONARY!!!

Second, floating roof is simply a reincarnation of the vinyl roof that died for a reason...

Third, why is Nissan pilfering country club style?

Absolutely useless design principle. And the fact that Nissans design moving forward is going to be based on a floating roof that doesn't float and a V surrounding the Nissan badge is not encouraging for the future of Nissan's styling department...
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Such a provocative post.

A few things.

First, I don't really get how the vinyl roof is the same as the floating roof. What about the two of them are similar. They seem to be pretty different to me.

Second, it is true that the floating roof is just a design trick with the red plastic pieces, but i don't think that makes it any worse. Lots of design is visual trickery. Would it only be cool if it actually was floating? Let me know if you figure out how to pull that off.

Third, the golf cart thing... come on. I could see how you could also call that a floating roof, but it is nothing like the NIssan IDx's roof.

I'll give you that it is a bit of a gimmick, but I don't think it looks bad or is the worst thing to ever happen to Nissan.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
the floating roof is attempting to perpetuate the same visual spoof as vinyl rooves did. I don't really get how the two are different

Clarification, lots of BAD design is visual trickery. Great design is simple, revealing and elegant. Jaguar E type for instance, not an ounce of visual trickery. Great design does not need tricks to get its point across...

I didnt say the golf cart was the same, I said the golf cart has a floating roof, which it does in essence.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
i give them credit for this, although it wasn't much that they did it, the was in which they did it and made it a big deal was great, still a cool thing to me
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Not sure about the vinyl roof thing. They seem pretty different to me. I mean one is vinyl and the other is glass.

I can agree that great design is usually simple and the IDx isn't the simplest of machines. There are plenty of vehicles that use visual trickery in design though. Like all of those hood scoops and vents that aren't actually hood scoops or vents. SO it does happen quite often is all I am saying.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Dan

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I see where they go the idea from. Just ridiculous how would this be benificial for aerodynamics. This is one of the features that are not going to make it to production.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I don't really see how the floating roof has much to do with aerodynamics at all. I don't think it is doing much positive or negative for the IDx (or that golf cart).
Dan likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDex View Post
I don't really see how the floating roof has much to do with aerodynamics at all. I don't think it is doing much positive or negative for the IDx (or that golf cart).
that how I see it also.
it's likely no more than just a design element even though there's not much they really did, still cool, good way to add more value to it. BUT seeing the type of car it is and the people that would buy it, i doubt many would even care for this, they would rather have Nissan put more focus on how it handles, power, etc
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Dan

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Its just a cool factor as some would say I really don't see it adding any benifits to aerodynamic and all. Maybe something to brag about during those car meets.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
ok so if a floating roof has no functional benefit what's the point? As a design feature it doesnt add to the elgance or simplicity of the design, it complicates things and in fact take away from the overall design becuase you're left scratching your head over what exactly the thought process was behind the roof...
Dan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan IDx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page