Nissan IDX and its competition - Nissan IDx Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
IDex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nissan IDX and its competition

By looking at what is going on with possible competitors for the Nissan IDX, we can speculate a bit about what that may mean for the Nissan IDX when it comes to production. Who is the competition? I'm going to talk a bit about the Subaru BRZ and the Kia GT4 Stinger.

The IDX concepts are said to run on 1.2-liter and 1.5- liter engines. No word on what horsepower they create, but what people are really clamoring for is the Juke NISMO RS's turbocharged 1.6-liter I-4 that produces 215 horsepower and 210 lb-ft of torque. Using that engine should allow the IDx to keep up with BRZ.

The Subaru BRZ is due to get a second generation soon. The current model uses a 200 horsepower, 151 lb-ft 2.0-liter H-4. Fans are asking for a more powerful version in the second generation. I believe that Nissan will be able to react to whatever Subaru puts in the next BRZ in order to make sure they are keeping up with the horsepower standard in this niche segment.

It won't keep up with the Kia GT4 Stinger though, which runs on a 315 horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. This vehicle looks sportiest to me, and another thing that really sets it up as a competitor to the IDX in my mind is its use of door handle straps instead of traditional door handles, just like the IDx. Of course that engine is in the Stinger concept, so it is possible that the production version will have a less powerful engine.

The small, rear-drive segment seems like it is picking up steam, and now companies will be jockeying with each other to come out with the model that will lead the segment. The BRZ has the advantage of already being on the market, but Kia and Nissan have the advantage of reacting to Subaru, and learning from its mistakes.
post #2 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Holla

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
All of them look pretty awesome. I can see the engine specs being a huge factor in the sales race between them given that they all are great from a design perspective. The Stinger is gorgeous, I'm just not sure if Kia really is thinking about even building it.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Heinz20

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I wonder how much change there will be to the design of the BRZ when they come out with the next generation. The original one that you have posted here looks good, but I do think that there is room for improvement considering the competition.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Lee Hooker

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I like the stinger quite alot, I'm actually really excited about it. I've been waiting for those Korean brands to do something significant, the Genesis Coupe was such a let down...
post #5 of 13 Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
IDex

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yea the Genesis Coupe didn't do it for me either. The Stinger would be the coolest car that Kia has ever come out with. They haven't officially said its going to production though.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Portnoy

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
But they said officially that they want it to go to production, I believe its a similar situation to the IDx ATM...
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Holla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I guess they are just trying to figure out if it is possible logistically to build the car. Lots of factors to consider.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Dan

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hooker View Post
I like the stinger quite alot, I'm actually really excited about it. I've been waiting for those Korean brands to do something significant, the Genesis Coupe was such a let down...
The stingers is definitely a breath of fresh air coming from the koreans. I like the numbers and the overall design. Question is will it actually make it to production? Dont know much about it.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Heinz20

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I think that the market for this type of vehicle is relatively small. It's not like it's going to be a huge volume seller, and when it is also made to be more affordable, it makes sense why Kia would drag its heels on building it, even though it is a awesome little car.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Lee Hooker

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
well KIA wants that stinger to head to production...

http://wardsauto.com/management-stra...ger-production

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan IDx Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page